Here a few major controversies in this year’s Beijing Olympics:
1) Steroids: Many men and women take steroids to improve their performance during the competitions, but the drugs are illegal because they don’t show the true athlete and the drugs are also illegal.
2) Opening Ceremony Faults: It is said that the Chinese girl singing in the Olympic Ceremony was lip-synching to the words of another Chinese girl. The girl who actually sang the song happened to not be the best looking but had the best voice, so they took her own voice and took a prettier girl to sing the song.
3) Racist Pictures: Many countries like to show that they have the Olympic spirit and this year’s Asian spirit due to the host country. But did Spain’s basketball team picture go too far? During team photos for Spain, the players were pressing their fingers against their temples to show the Asian Spirit but China took the actions seriously and thought of it as racist. Being racist was not Spain’s intent.
4) Did China Cheat? : Recently, during women’s gymnastics, China won gold in a few events. Many athletes from other countries are arguing whether or not the athletes from china were underage! In the Chinese newspaper the next day, the newspaper stated that the gold winner was 14 rather that at least 16.
5) Restricted Government Officials: George Bush was attempted to not be permitted to the Olympic ceremony but Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe President, was restricted from coming to the opening ceremony. George Bush was attempted to be restricted from the Olympic ceremony because before the ceremony because he was criticizing China. Mugabe was not allowed at the ceremony because many people don’t agree with his past actions towards his own people in Zimbabwe.