9/18/2008

Stuck with my brother, and no one but Introspect to visit- by Grace

You might have a brother, be it younger or older, in your home- and he may be the source of your delight or irritation.

Author Nicholas Sparks not only has a brother too, hes written a book about it. I finished reading it over the long weekend, and found it a hilarious, yet introspective book, that led me to reflect on my own life and my relationship with my two older brothers, who live back in Singapore.

Published in April 2004, 3 Weeks With My Brother may not a book you have heard about, but all the same, it comes from the bestseller author of The Notebook, and its a great book to pick up and read.

This non-fiction memoir is about how Nicholas Sparks himself receives a brochure in the mail about a three-week journey around the world. He decides to go with his older brother, Micah Sparks. Despite the fact that both are married with young children, their wives give the go-ahead and agree to take care of the children for the three weeks theyre on the journey.

The following paragraph is from the prologue of the book.

It isn’t easy living with an author. I know this because my wife has informed me of this fact, and she did so again that day. To be honest, it’s not the easiest thing to hear, and while it would be easy to get defensive, I’ve come to understand that arguing with her about it has never solved anything. So instead of denying it, I’ve learned to take her hands, look her in the eyes, and respond with those three magic words that every woman wants to hear:

“You’re right, sweetheart.”

More of the prologue is available as an excerpt on http://www.nicholassparks.com/Novels/ThreeWeeks/Index.html. I hope that from reading the paragraph, and maybe the rest of the excerpt, youll be all set to pick up this spectacular book, because you definitely wont regret it.

Information taken from http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nJ9UGUXtKz8/RvrspELftkI/AAAAAAAADbg/wiMeCKYvKBI/s400/three%2Bweeks.jpg&imgrefurl=http://myworldbeyondstars.blogspot.com/2007/09/book-review-three-weeks-with-my-brother.html&h=400&w=265&sz=17&hl=en&start=1&usg=__PSAJIa6JzmvZL4l3YeQUGNn0nB4=&tbnid=Or51mO9dyeVonM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3D3%2Bweeks%2Bwith%2Bmy%2Bbrother%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLG_en___TH287

No comments: